You’ve heard the phrase, “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it,” right? Well, even though our wonderful patients certainly aren’t broken, we absolutely recommend that they be fixed—by which we mean spayed or neutered. Here are a few good reasons why:
- According to the Humane Society of the United States, several million pets enter U.S. animal shelters every year. Only about half are adopted, meaning the rest—mostly healthy, adoptable dogs and cats—are euthanized. The world doesn’t need more dogs and cats; it needs more loving homes for the ones we already have.
- Your pet will likely be healthier. Altered pets have less urge to roam, and spaying or neutering reduces the risk of certain types of cancer in both dogs and cats.
- Spaying or neutering often results in a better-behaved pet: male dogs are less prone to lifting a leg where they shouldn’t, and cats are less likely to spray. Vocalizing and aggressive behavior is usually curbed as well.
- Most counties offer less expensive licensing for spayed and neutered pets.
- The staff at Mohnacky Animal Hospital will make sure that your pet’s “big day” goes safely and smoothly, and they’ll get all the kisses and cuddles they can handle—on the house!
If you have any questions about spaying or neutering your pet or would like to schedule them for a procedure, please call us at (760) 729-3330.